Immigrant visa questions

Immigrant Visas: frequently Asked Questions


Q: What is an immigrant visa?
A: An immigrant visa represents permission to enter the United States for an indefinite period. The people who want to move to the United States permanently are seeking this type of visa. An immigrant visa may be issued for employment, family relationship, business investment, or other ties with the United States.

Q: What is the difference between an immigrant visa and a nonimmigrant?
A: In general, individuals who receive immigrant visas are allowed to stay in the United States for as long as they wish. A nonimmigrant visa is generally for temporary visitors likely to visit the United States for tourism, to seek medical attention, conduct business, or study. Normally, people who are in the United States with a nonimmigrant visa are not allowed to work in the country.

Q: What documents do I need to apply for an immigrant visa?
A: generally, you will need a passport, three photographs, a birth certificate, a marriage certificate, divorce or death, and evidence of financial support. You must also take and pass a medical examination.

Q: What is a “green card”?
R: A “green card” allows the holder to live and work in the United States, often for an indefinite period. People who intend to immigrate to the United States permanently (and get a green card) they usually have the sponsorship of an employer or a family member. However, the green cards can be obtained through the diversity lottery and the asylum process by, among other means.

Q: What is required to enter the United States in order to marry a u.s. citizen?
A: The u.s. citizen must file a petition for a fiancé before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, USCIS). Then, the USCIS will send the petition approval to the u.s. embassy or the U.S. consulate near your home. You will be scheduled for an interview and, if successful, will be able to enter the U.s. to marry the u.s. citizen. The deadline for trip and they marry once granted the visa is short. After they get married, your u.s. citizen spouse must contact USCIS to change your status to permanent resident. This condition is contingent on your marriage to last a specified period, or to demonstrate its legitimacy.

Q: how long can the us remain a person outside the United States without losing immigrant status?
A: In general, a permanent immigrant legitimate you must make the necessary arrangements to re-enter the United States if you plan to be out of the country for more than a year. These arrangements must be made before leaving the United States.

Q: why are not the citizens of all the countries eligible to participate in the diversity lottery?
A: diversity Immigrant Visas are intended to provide immigration opportunities to people from countries different to those that already send large numbers of immigrants to the United States. The list of countries that are included in the diversity lottery is updated every five years, based on the statistics of immigration according to the employment and family issues.

Q: When do you need to a person hire a lawyer specialized in immigration?
A: The majority of employers who sponsor foreign nationals for immigration in function of employment have their own lawyers, who will handle the immigration process. Unless it is the employer who handles immigration matters for a potential employee, it is critical that a individual who intends to obtain permanent residency in the United States hire a lawyer specialized in immigration to keep on informed about us immigration laws, which are very changeable. In recent years, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Immigration and Naturalization Service, INS) be disbanded and its functions moved to other departments. Currently, the immigration involves judicial procedures before the Department of Homeland Security of the United States, including the Office of the Citizenship and Immigration Service of the United States. In addition, we have updated the procedures and have high standards.

How to Get Legal Help with the Visa Process

The application process for immigrant visas and non-immigrant can be complicated and may involve many forms, and documentation. An experienced immigration lawyer knows how to cope with these changes and how should be directed to the immigration judges, the Board of Immigration Appeals, the Department of Labor of the United States, to the Board of Appeals of Labor Certification for Foreign and embassies and consulates of the United States around the world. They have rejected the requests of many potential immigrants due to technicalities and not to understand the complexities of the right of immigration us. A lawyer specializing in immigration can help to avoid these problems.

You May Also Like