When you're in an accident or are injured due to the mistake and negligence of others, you have the right to ask for compensation for your injuries and expenses. There are several laws in place to project your interest and ensure you don't have to pay for problems caused by someone else. However, these laws will only protect you if you're aware of them and you need legal advice from an experienced personal injury attorney in Los Angeles for that.
What is Personal Injury?
A personal injury is a wound or hurt caused to a person as opposed to a property or possession. For example, if you're injured in a bike accident, it's considered a personal injury. If your car is damaged in an accident but no one is injured, it's not considered a personal injury. Personal injury claims can include situations like:
- Vehicular accidents (motorcycles, cars, buses, trucks, etc)
- Pedestrian accidents
- Falls and injuries due to poorly maintained property (usually commercial and public properties)
- Injuries and accidents caused by defective products
- Injuries and distress caused by other people's pets
- Medical malpractice
If you're injured because of the negligence and actions of others, you can file a case against them and ask for compensation. This case is considered a personal injury case.
What You Need to Know about These Cases
Personal injury cases are often settled outside court. The compensation amount is discussed between the injured party and the liable party until they come to an agreement. This is done with the help of a personal injury attorney in Los Angeles. Here are some facts you need to know about these cases:
- Statute of Limitation – You need to file the case within two years of the incident. You won't be allowed to file it after the Statute of Limitations has passed and would have to go without compensation.
- Formal Cases – Formal cases are rare because people usually settle out of court. However, you can ask your lawyer to file a formal complaint in court against an individual, business, corporation, or even a government agency. These cases are often settled in court before the judge. The compensation is also determined by the court.
- Compensation Amount – Compensation amount is decided based on your expenses, level of injury, the long-term impact of that injury, loss of wages, distress, fatality, permanent disabilities, etc. A personal injury attorney in Los Angeles will take all of these factors into consideration before they suggest a compensation amount.
- Negotiations – The injured party and the liable party must agree on the compensation amount and this is decided through negotiations. It's important to hire a good attorney because they will have your back and ensure you're not pressured into an unfair settlement by the opposing attorney.
If you need immediate legal assistance, contact a reliable and well-established personal injury attorney in Los Angeles without delay. This will help you get the compensation that is due to you at the time you need it the most.
The author is highly experienced in providing well researched quality information and tips about personal injury law and other law services. Find more information regarding personal injury, consultancy and to discover more of personal injury attorney in Los Angeles visit Kahnroven.com to obtain your Compensation.