Inheritance Dispute Claims


Inheritance Dispute Claims

  • Have you been cut out of a will or left less money than was expected?
  • Did the deceased die in the last year?
  • Did you depend on the deceased giving you money or looking after your financial needs?
  • Or were you married, cohabiting with, or in a civil partnership with the deceased?
  • Or were you a child or other dependant of the deceased?
  • Has the will left you without enough money to get by?

If so, you could have a claim for compensation, possibly worth many thousands of pounds.

The Inheritance (Provision For Family And Dependants) Act 1975

In general, people may dispose of their assets however they want to.

However, the law does provide specific protection for those who were married to the deceased, were civil partners of the deceased, or were dependants of the deceased.

The Inheritance Act is of most use to:

  • Spouses and civil partners of the deceased
  • Cohabitees of the deceased
  • Children of the deceased
  • Other financial dependants of the deceased

Who, as a result of the contents of the will or due to the intestacy rules where there was not a will, have been left without enough money to get by.

If there is not reasonable financial provision for them, the law will step in and demand that it be provided – as long as they claim for that.

We advise both potential claimants under the Inheritance Act and also beneficiaries or personal representatives who wish to defend a claim under the Inheritance Act.

In both inheritance dispute cases most litigation settles out of Court so with the benefit of expert advice you could reach a quick and successful outcome, often remaining on amicable terms with the other side – which is important during such a stressful time.

You May Also Like